Innovation MMR: Efficiencies with QIQ
True Product/Service innovation is one of the most challenging of Marketing issues. One MMR client recently asked MMR to help them revise their program, which had produced some successes, but weren’t consistently providing market winners, with a goal of developing a “repeatable, from scratch” innovation program that would include Qualitative, Ideation and Quantitative (QIQ) research. The process was also taking more time than was desirable.
Create and deliver a QIQ process that will result in new product offerings that can fill the innovative new products pipeline more quickly and effectively.
Typically, companies hire separate vendors for each phase of these research projects. This often leads to inefficiencies as context and insight nuance get lost as the project changes partners, despite the efforts of the individual lead researcher at the client. MMR instead proposed a comprehensive process with the MMR Team leading and participating throughout every phase of the project. By serving as an extension of the client team, MMR provided program continuity that reduced redundancies and saved time and resources for the client.
We developed a full innovation research agenda with the goal of achieving successful product launch. Using our end-to-end system, we designed a repeatable process of Qualitative Discovery, Solution Ideation (in partnership with an Ideation Firm), and Quantitative Concept Testing.
In order to gain the most efficiencies, our QIQ system follows a standard, albeit flexible, structure which depending on the nature of the business can last anywhere from 3-9 months:
– Identify client core team. They will likely attend the qualitative and ideation phases.
– Identify key client stakeholders. They will be advised of progress each step of the way.
– Create a schedule with the end in mind. Outline all partnerships and dependencies including selection of ideation partner so scheduling can be locked down early.
– Plan, design and conduct appropriate qualitative research. The output is a series of “platforms” for ideation development.
– Brief ideation partner. Articulate clearly the needs driving each platform, then plan for and conduct ideation sessions. MMR coordinates all facets of the ideation phase which frees up client time to work on other things. Convergence to solid product ideas following ideation goes at the client’s pace. MMR bills all ideation partner fees at cost.
– Conduct quantitative research. Once product ideas are fleshed out, concept testing can examine and compare numerous products arising from the QIQ system.
– Proceed with “winning products” from the research.
All innovation processes will lead to some successful products and some products that are not. No one process can claim a greater success rate than all others – if that were the case, it would be the only process used!
However, there is a marked difference in process efficiency and stakeholder buy-in arising from QIQ as designed by MMR. Specifically:
– 20%+ reduction in researcher’s time.
– Stronger stakeholder buy-in as core team stays “intact” for entire process.
– Faster transition from qualitative to ideation and ideation to concept testing. In some cases, ideation occurred a week after the qual, and concept tests were fielded within 2-3 weeks of ideation.
– Shorter overall timing for process – as much as 30% reduction.
Working as an extension of our client’s team, our involvement at each phase of the innovation research process enables MMR to deliver actionable results not only faster but with greater insight. We can take learnings from each phase and incorporate them smoothly and effectively into the next, saving our clients time and money.
- As we are all paying close attention to the COVRead more...
- Season’s Greetings! We trust that 2019 was a prRead more...
- As MMR LIVE celebrates the end of its inauguralRead more...
- ROSWELL, Ga. — GreenBook has named MMR ResearchRead more...